Biohacking Diet: New Approaches to Healthy Nutrition
Gradualness is important when you want to improve you performance ability and life quality using biohacking. One of the initial stages in this process is drafting a special diet. What is the correct approach to the correction of the diet and where does biohacking diet start?
Diet as one of the stages of biohacking
Self-improvement, working on your life style and improving its quality starts from the comprehensive health check (analyses, DNA testing). In such a way, you can define the basic body parameters, and detect problems and peculiarities. With this data in mind, a physician can draft an individual program for self-improvement. Usually, it embraces several directions including a healthy diet, certain volume of physical exercises, detoxification, hormonal correction, and improvement of brain performance.
Selection of correct diet is one of the key steps to improve the life quality and duration. Similarly to physical exercises, a correct diet lies at the heart of the productive body functioning. By turning to a professional nutritionist, you can draft an individual program that will suit you by all parameters. It is important to factor in not only personal constitutional peculiarities but also the end goals of the customer (to lose or to gain weight, to become more flexible).
At this stage, you:
- change the diet;
- remove harmful products from the menu;
- eliminate the consumption of allergens;
- define the type of the suitable biohacking diet;
- monitor results and body reactions.
After some time, you will need to make another checkup and have a bottom-line consultation with the nutritionist that will help to assess the results of the diet and its influence on the body. In the end, the physician corrects or completely changes the diet.
Biohacking diet: types
The main principle that the choice of the maximally useful and efficient biohacking diet relies on is the individual approach. Defining what will influence the body and its performance best of all is the task of the specialist performed basing on test results. It is important to take into account the individual intolerance to products, metabolic profiles, peculiarities of digestion, fermentation, and many other factors. However, everyone who adheres to healthy diets tries to follow several basic principles.
- Completely opt for healthy food and refuse from junk food. It is a long-term goal that does not depend on the achievement of intermediate goals (for example, to lose weight). In other words, biohacking implies a constant rather than temporary diet.
- Refusal from industrially processed food. Products containing preserving agents and flavors, and precooked foods are removed from the ration, as their ingredients may be harmful for the body. Industrial processing implies adding preserving agents, food colors, sugar that are antagonistic to the notion of healthy nutrition (irrespective of the body peculiarities).
- Rejection of alcohol, salt, reduction in sugar consumption. The harm of alcohol drinks is obvious and supporters of biohacking prefer not to drink them at all. Besides, the harm from frequent consumption of salt and sugar is evidence based, so you should add them to dishes less often at least.
- Avoiding eating products made of meat that comes from animals bred on an industrial scale. Such poultry, cows, and pigs may be fed with chemical products, which reflects on meat quality. It is also a good idea to refuse from sausages, wurst, and ham for the same reason.
- Complex carbohydrates instead of fast-digesting carbohydrates. Sweets, cookies, cakes, fizzy drinks, store-bought juices should be removed from the ration.
- Increase in the amount of vegetable food. At the same time, it is not necessary to refuse from meat.
- Intermittent fasting. Express diet called intermittent fasting is popular today. Fasting days when you do without food for some time are useful for the organism and stimulate brain performance.
Fasting as a way to improve performance
The Nobel prize-winning discovery of the mechanisms of autophagy made by the molecular biologist Yoshinori Ohsumi laid in the foundation of the intermittent fasting program. According to the research of the Japanese scientist, cells are capable of getting rid of unnecessary or dysfunctional components. Fasting stimulates this process. Yoshinori Ohsumi received the Nobel Prize in 2016 and nutritionists got interested in the mechanisms of autophagy. In such a way, fasting arrived. It helps to renew and rejuvenate cells through temporary refusal from food (in case the physician approves this measure).
This type of the diet and nutrition is very popular among Hollywood celebrities and top managers of the Silicon Valley. For example, actor Hugh Jackman practices intermittent fasting to lose weight. Co-founder of Twitter Jack Dorsey also uses the principles of fasting: he eats one time per day and only until 21:00, and completely refuses from food during one day per week drinking only water. Founder of Telegram Pavel Durov has also tried intermittent fasting recently – he did not eat for 7 days.
Types of intermittent fasting
Autophagy implies that in the process of fasting, the body experiences accelerated utilization and processing of harmful substances accumulated in cells over a long time. In such a way, the body rejuvenates. Several types of intermittent fasting help to speed up cell renewal, lose weight, and marshal resources. A dietarian should define whether a specific type of fasting suits the person after the health checkup and detection of all contraindications.
The standard scheme of fasting practiced by the majority of the Silicon Valley employees is 16/8. The main idea is that you can take food within 8 hours per day, and for the rest of 16 hours including the time for sleep, you can only drink water.
The type of intermittent fasting for beginners – one of the mildest and simplest to follow. You can eat within 10 hours, and refuse from food within 14 hours.
This type of fasting is combined with other schemes (16/8 and 14/10) and practiced not more than one or two times per week. Before refusing from food for the whole day round, you should consult with the dietarian.
A daily scheme of intermittent fasting. It implies that you eat anything you want 5 days per week, and restrict yourself for 2 days – by either complete fasting or strict limitation to 500 calories.
Biohacking diet is a nice match for people that want to lose weight as well as those who require a special nutrition scheme for health reasons. Besides, biohackers use food limitations to feel more energetic and increase brain performance. You should choose one of the fasting types only after the comprehensive health checkup and consultation with a qualified specialist; otherwise, it can negatively affect the immune status and the work of internal organs.