How to Hack Your Brain and Improve its Performance?
Biohackers advance not only their body but also the brain. Thanks to this, they improve their intelligence level, cognitive capability, become more hard-working and efficient. To achieve these goals, they do special exercises, correct diets, do sports, and use innovative devices.
Read how to improve brain performance further in the article.
Optimization of ration: what to eat to improve brain performance?
Well-known biohacker, investor of Silicon Valley and author of the bulletproof coffee Dave Asprey significantly reduced weight, increased IQ, and reduced biological age thanks to different biohacking tools.
In his book “Head Strong: The Bulletproof Plan to Activate Untapped Brain Energy to Work Smarter and Think Faster-in Just Two Weeks”, the businessman explains that food is like a fuel material for the brain. Food shows the biggest influence on its performance. To improve this parameter, you need to optimize your diet.
To hack and modernize the brain, Asprey recommends paying attention to the following aspects.
Dave notes that to improve brain performance one needs to eat products that contain polyphenols. This type of antioxidants is present in different plants. Such substances protect cells against damages and add useful properties to mitochondria. They speed up neurogenesis, facilitate the elimination of inflammations, and prevent the development of cell mutations.
Polyphenols are found in the following products: coffee, dark chocolate, blueberry, pomegranate, grape (including grape seeds).
Neurotransmitters are chemical substances involved in data communication between neurons. To produce them, the organism needs nutrients. In the case of their deficiency, the communication between neurons is interrupted. It negatively influences brain performance and leads to the development of different illnesses.
To avoid this situation, you need to eat products that help to produce neurotransmitters. Some of them are beef, chicken, turkey, wild salmon, sardine, liver, almond, green vegetables, lamb, cashew nuts, hazelnuts, pork, eggs, by-products.
Asprey states that diets containing a high amount of healthy fats help to increase brain performance, reduce inflammatory processes, and speed up energy generation.
According to the biohacker, the ration should include products that contain stable saturated, monounsaturated fats and omega-3 fatty acids. Such substances are found in the grass-fed meat, domestic hen eggs, olive oil, sea products, sardine, red fish, anchovy, mackerel, wild salmon, and fish oil.
Dave has personally checked the efficiency of this diet. Following the low-carb, high-fat diet, he lost 22 kilograms.
Asprey is the author of bulletproof coffee. This drink is made of the highest quality coffee beans, butter from grass-fed cows, and fats used in sports nutrition to speed up fat burning.
Bulletproof coffee accelerates metabolism, improves mood, suppresses hunger, and boosts brain performance.
It is important to train both the brain and the body. Regular mental activity improves analytical and abstract thinking, develops memory and other cognitive functions.
The following exercises and methods can help to advance brain performance:
- Change habits. It is about the introduction of changes in daily routines. For example, start cleaning your teeth with your right and left hand by turns, get out of bed to stand on a different leg each time, change habitual routes, try new food, etc. It helps to improve neuroplasticity – the ability to build new neural networks and unite them with previously formed ones in a single system;
- Read words inversely. Use words of different complexity and length for this exercise. It helps to develop concentration;
- Learn foreign languages. Different research findings prove that competence in two or more languages is a good prevention of Alzheimer's disease. For example, scientists of the Medical institute in Hyderabad found out back in 2013 that home use of two languages postpones the development of dementia on average by 4.5 years;
- Play musical instruments. When you play the piano, violin, guitar, and other musical instruments, you use both hands. Thanks to this, both brain hemispheres function. As a result, such hobby encourages the improvement of memory, develops spatial thinking, and speech habits;
- Do crossword puzzles. When you do crossword puzzles of different complexity, you improve memory and increase erudition;
- Constantly learn and acquire new experience. It helps to increase intelligence level and improve memory. You can obtain new knowledge and experience by visiting seminars and different courses as well as by studying independently, for example, reading books, and watching videos. Any new impressions, if they are pleasant for you and bring usefulness, favorably influence brain activity;
- Develop image memory. For this purpose, imagine different bright pictures when you sit in a comfortable place. You can also recollect the events that happened to you. It is important to focus on details, for example, the color of plates during dinner or the shape of buildings you go by on your way to work;
- Avoid stress. Stress increases the level of cortisol in the organism. Excess amount of this hormone can lead to memory defects and deterioration of concentration. To prevent negative consequences, try to avoid stress. Do what you like, regularly meet with your relatives and friends, smile and get positive emotions;
- Meditate. Meditation can help to normalize sleep, improve concentration, attention, accelerate thinking processes, improve mood, and get rid of depression.
The World Health Organization recommends that adults spend not less than 150 minutes per week on physical activity or up to 300 minutes for additional health benefits. Children aged 5 to 17 years old are recommended to spend not less than 60 minutes per day on physical activity.
The usefulness of exercises and sport is unquestionable. They not only help to keep fit, prevent different diseases, and prolong life, but also positively influence brain activity.
Moderate physical activity improves blood circulation and stimulates the work of brain nerve cells. Thanks to physical training, the brain gets more oxygen, which increases its productivity. The intensity of your workouts is not important. Both difficult aerobic training and simple exercises or walking do good for health.
To improve cognitive capability, biohackers use devises that base on the transcranial direct current stimulation technology. One of such devices is Neurostimulator Brainstorm developed by the project of the same name led by the neurobiologist Timofey Glinin.
The functioning principle of the device lies in the following. Electrodes are attached to the head. They supply the brain with low direct current, which stimulates nerve cells. Stimulation of certain areas helps to improve the execution of certain brain functions.
According to Timofey, thanks to the use of Neurostimulator Brainstorm, you can improve memory, attentiveness, and reaction rate. Besides, electrostimulation is efficient when you study languages and fight against harmful habits, for example, overeating or smoking.
Read more about the work of the neurostimulator in the interview that Timofey gave for Biohacking Conference Moscow.
Willing to hack your brain and to optimize its performance, do not forget that it is important not only to train but also to protect it against age-related changes, dementia, and inflammations. For this purpose, it is necessary to take care of your health, regularly undergo screenings, eliminate possible risks, take preventive measures in time, and undergo treatment when required.